We have been informed by our Japanese sources that WBO Bantamweight champion Tomoki Kameda (30-0, 19) has a date and venue set for his upcoming mandatory defence against interim champion Alejandro Hernandez (28-10-2, 15).
The bout recently went to purse bids and Hernandez's team, All Star Boxing, bid $151,000 for the bout, a figure that was dwarfed by the $603,000 bid made by Warrior Boxing, who are though to have been acting on behalf of Al Haymon, the powerful advisor behind Tomoki Kameda. The huge purse for a Bantamweight fight will be split with 80% going to Kameda, approximately $482,000, whilst the remaining 20% will be Hernandez's.
From what we've been told the plan is to have Tomoki defending his belt on November 1st in Chicago with the UIC Pavilion the most likely venue for the contest. It will be Tomoki's 3rd defence of the belt he won in August 2013 making him an oddly busy fighter considering the fact he has had a forced lay off.
This will be Tomoki's second bout in the US following his impressive victory over Pungluang Sor Singyu last time out and will be the 6th time Hernandez has fought in the US, the first since 2007 however.
(Image courtesy of boxingnews.jp)
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!