Earlier today Mussa Tursyngaliyev (8-0, 6) [Турсынгалиев Муса] spoke to Vesti.kz about his upcoming bout, and it appears that plans have changed since he last spoke to them.
Back in December the unbeaten Kazakh stated that his next bout would be a title bout on March 1st. Now the plan seems to have changed from a title bout to a 6 or 8 rounder, though it will still be on March 1st, with no opponent yet to be confirmed.
What was pretty notable about the comments made to Vesti was that Tursyngaliyev stated "But the next match in May 12 will already be 10-round. And, perhaps, already the title." [Translated], Showing that not only will he be fighting in March but also in May, with plans likely being set in stone for that bout after his March contest.
It's notably that Tursyngaliyev only fought twice last year, so to fit bouts in to March and May would allow him to be much, much, busier than he was in 2018. However there is a worry that plans won't go through and we have seen Tursyngaliyev have bouts fall through with next to no notice in the past, and that could again happen this year.
Unbeaten Kazakh fighter Mussa Tursyngaliyev (8-0, 6) [Турсынгалиев Муса] has today revealed that his next bout will be taking place on March 1st, and will be fighting for the WBA International Featherweight title.
The bout is slated to take place in Atlanta or Miami, though no opponent has been named.
It's worth noting that whilst Tursyngaliyev has announced this bout there is a chance that it won't take place, given that several of his bouts have fallen through at short notice, including a bout set for November 30th which seemed to fall through for unspecified reasons at very short notice.
(Image courtesy of Musa Tursyngaliev's facebook)
Earlier today it was revealed that Kazakh prospect Mussa Tursyngaliyev (8-0, 6) [Турсынгалиев Муса] would be returning to the ring on November 30th to take part in his next bout.
Not only is the unbeaten Kazakh be back in the ring in a few weeks time, but he is set to face a fellow unbeaten fighter, with Tursyngaliyev facing off against unbeaten Colombian Rubern Cervera (10-0-0-1, 9) foe, who is making his US debut.
The bout will see Tursyngaliyev looking to build on solid wins over Luis Hijonosa and Deivi Julio Bassa, from earlier this year, and it's clear that his team are wanting to move him on to bigger and better fights in 2019. For Cervera the bout is a huge step up from the opponents he's been fighting on the Colombian domestic scene.
(Image courtesy of vesti.kz)
Later today at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood fans will get the chance to see unbeaten Kazakh prospect Mussa Tursyngaliyev (7-0, 6) [Турсынгалиев Муса] take on Deivi Julio Bassa (20-5-0-1, 12).
Yesterday the two men took part in their weigh in both came in under the allowed weight.
Our sources haven't given exact weights, though we have been informed that both men were pretty much on the Featherweight limit.
At the weigh in both looked determined, driven and confident, as if they were entering a bout that could set them up for big fights down the line. We have been told that Tursyngaliyev is wanting to advance towards a world title fight as soon as possible and a win over the 37 year old Colombian puncher would be a good step in the right direction. For Bassa a win is needed to just remain relevant, after suffering 5 losses in just over 2 years.
(Image courtesy of sports.kz)
The WBA have had a reputation for creating too many titles, muddying the waters of what real world class is, and leading many to almost ignore anything but their Super Titles. Whilst that's a fantastic attitude to the WBA's almost offensive title creation scheme it does need to be said that the proliferation of titles does give more fighters a chance to make a name for themselves. It makes it hard to know who is really world class, but does give leeser known fighters a chance to put themselves in the mix and in some cases that's a good thing, even if the way the WBA does it is pathetic and wrong.
The latest fighter to claim one of the WBA's "interim" titles was one fighter who took the opportunity with both hands and put himself straight into the mix of his division.
That fighter is unbeaten Filipino 21 year old Reymart Gaballo (19-0, 16) who claimed the WBA "interim" Bantamweight title last night with an impressive and dominant decision win over Stephon Young (17-1-3, 7).
Gaballo, a relative unknown out of the Philippines, dropped Young in round 3 and never looked like losing from then on, as he took the decision with scores of 117-110, twice, and 118-109.
With the win Gaballo puts himself in the mix for a fight at the "Super" champion Ryan Burnett, or the "Regular" title, which Jamie McDonnell will defend against Naoya Inoue in May.
Whilst we do despise the WBA's multiple title system, for Gaballo right now the win is a career changing one and the 21 year old is now in the mix for huge fights. It would have made more sense for the WBA to have held the bout as a world title eliminator, but the reality is that for the fighter the win is key, and the doors that win opens up really are career changing.
Interestingly on the same card Filipino Mike Plania (14-1, 7) lost a decision to former world champion Juan Carlos Payano (20-1, 9), despite dropping Payano in round 3, and Kazakh puncher Mussa Tursyngaliyev (7-0, 6) stopped Luis Hinojosa (31-14-0-2, 18) in 3 rounds, to claim the vacant WBA-NABA USA Featherweight title.
(Image courtesy of Sanman Promotions)
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!