Earlier today the head of the WBC, Mauricio Sulaiman took to twitter to announce that the purse bid for the WBC Bantamweight title bout between WBC champion Nordine Oubaali (17-0, 12) and Nonito Donaire (40-6, 26) had been done.
The winning bid was $401,000 for the bout and will be promoted by TGB Promotions.
This bout will be Oubaali's third defense of the title, which he won in December 2019, when he beat Rau'shee Warren. His last two bouts have seen him stopping Filipino challenger Arthur Villanueva and taking a decision over Takuma Inoue, in a bout that was much closer than two of the judges had it.
As for Donaire this will be his first bout since losing in the WBSS final to Naoya Inoue. Incidentally that came on the same show as Oubaali's defense against Takuma.
An announcement in regards to the when and where of this bout is expect to be made in the coming days.
Earlier today the purse bids for the IBF Light Welterweight bout between world champion Josh Taylor (16-0, 12) and unbeaten Thai Downua Ruawaiking (16-0, 13) [ดาวเหนือ เรือไวกิ้ง], aka Apinun Khongsong, went ahead, with Downua's co-promoter Sampson boxing putting in the winning bid.
Sampson boxing, who co-promote Downua with Kiatkreerin, bid $1,320,000 for the rights to host the fight, pipping Taylor's promoter Top Rank, who bid $1,260,000. The winning bid will be split with 65% of the purse going to the champion and the challenger taking the other 35%.
Interestingly it was Sampson boxing who pushed for the purse bids for the fight, and came in strong with their bid, with Sampson calling for the purse bid process on January 14th.
Reports are that Sampson will be looking to host the bout in the UK, though it's worth noting that Downua's other co-promoter, Kiatkreerin, had stated they were hoping to get the fight staged in Thailand, where their man would have a significant advantage.
Although boxing isn't as profitable in Thailand as it is in some countries Thailand is unlike any other country in boxing, and has the most obvious advantages for a local fighter. Whilst every country has questionable decisions no other country makes it an art form in giving their fighters the best chance of success. Fights in Thailand are often fought out doors, in blistering heat, his levels of humidity, in the middle of the day, with visiting fighters often put up in questionable hotels. An away fighter, in Thailand, is put in a very awkward position, explaining why Kiatkreerin would want the fight at home.
The UK however would bring more money to the table, and Sampson could be seeing the bout as a chance to make a short term profit by holding it in the UK and building on Taylor's WBSS win, whilst also upsetting Top Rank in the process.
We expect to see a lot more details about regarding the plans for the bout to be revealed in the coming days.
Earlier today Kiatkreerin Promotion, the Thai promotional company Downua Ruawaiking (16-0, 13) [ดาวเหนือ เรือไวกิ้ง], aka Apinun Khongsong, posted on their social media that they would be heading to purse bids for the mandatory title fight between their man Josh Taylor (16-0, 12).
Apparently negotiations between the two sides haven't reached an agreement, and with Taylor recently linking up with Top Rank and Downua doing the same with Samson Boxing, things do seem to have gotten a lot more complicated.
The purse will take place at the IBF offices on January 24th, with the champion taking home 65% of the purse and the challenger taking the other 35%.
Despite Taylor now being backed by the very powerful Top Rank, Kiatkreerin did seem pretty confident in bringing the bout to Thailand, with the suggestion being that they will make a hefty bid to get the rights to host the fight.
It should be noted that Taylor, the IBF an WBA "super" champion, is expected to be lined up for a 4 title unification bout with Jose Carlos Ramirez, if he keeps his titles. With that in mind it's unlikely he'd vacate the IBF belt, though if the bout does end up being won by the Thai's time there is a chance he'll drop the IBF belt. The likeliness however, is that the bout will probably end up being staged in either the US or the UK, with Top Rank expected to put in the highest bid an ensure they keep the control of the bout, and the 4 titles at the weight.
Yesterday the WBA announced that a date for purse bids had been set for a Minimumweight title bout between unbeaten champion Knockout CP Freshmart (20-0, 7) [น็อคเอาท์ ซีพีเฟรชมาร์ท] and former IBF champion Jose Argumedo (23-4-1, 14).
The Panama based world title body notified both teams that the purse bids are set for September 16th in Panama with a minimum bid allowed of $80,000 to be split 75/25 in favour of the champion, and of course third party promoters are able to bid in a purse bid scenario like this.
The champion, also known as Thammanoon Niyomtrong, has held some version of the WBA title since winning the interim belt way back in October 2014, when he narrowly beat Carlos Buitrago in the first of two bouts between the two. Since then he has defended some version of the tile title 11 times in total, including 7 defenses of the regular title that he won in 2016 from Byron Rojas. Whilst that sounds impressive her performances have, for the most part, been thoroughly uninspiring.
Argumedo on the other hand has scored 3 wins since losing the IBF title in July 2017, to Hiroto Kyoguchi, and has netted recent wins over Moises Calleros and Alexis Diaz, to earn this shot. He also, of course, took the IBF title at the very end of 2015 when he took a technical decision over Katsunari Takayama. He's an aggressive, heavy handed and tough fighter, but also a rather clumsy one.
Given the way Knockout's team have backed him financially in the past we do suspect that he'll get home advantage here, but there is a feeling that he has lost a lot of lure and fans have become bored and frustrated with his recent performance, so his team may not go all out to secure the fight in Thailand.
Earlier today the WBA held the purse bid for their Super Bantamweight mandatory title fight between champion Daniel Roman (27-2-1, 10) and unbeaten Uzbek Murodjon Akhmadaliev (6-0, 5) [Ахмадалиев, Муроджон Кахарович]. The purse bid had come about after the sides failed to reach an agreement on purses and it was a rather odd one, with only World of Boxing, the promoter of Akhmadaliev, even tabling a bid.
The bid from the Russian promoter was $145,000, a disappointingly low purse for a bout that will not only have the WBA title on the line but also the IBF title, with Roman being a unified champion following his thrilling win over TJ Doheny earlier in the year.
The bid came with 3 proposed dates and locations of the bout. Those proposals were Tashkent, Uzbekistan on September 21st, St. Petersburg, Russia a week later, on September 28th; or Los Angeles, on September 14th.
Interestingly Roman had been announced for a card in Mexico in August, with that bout now looking like it could be off due to this purse bid, a purse bid that was announced as taking place over a week ago. It's also worth noting that Roman will also have an IBF mandatory due in the near future, against Ryosuke Iwasa (26-3, 16) [岩佐 亮佑], so he may end up not being a unified champion for too long, sadly, due to the ever frustrating politics of sport and the inactivity of fighters at the top.
Originally it was assumed the two teams would come to a relatively easy agreement, given that both are co-promoted by Matchroom Sport and Eddie Hearn, with the champion being promoted by Thompson Boxing and Akhmadaliev being promoted World of Boxing. The fact a deal couldn't be arranged is rather worrying, though it does seem like their could be something else at play here, and we wouldn't be surprised to at least another twist in the tale for this bout.
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!