The unbeaten Carl Jammes Martin is the latest Filipino fighter to join the ranks at Probellum.
Martin (18-0, 15KO) follows fellow countrymen and iconic boxing names Nonito Donaire and Donnie Nietes in signing promotional deals with the global boxing promoter that launched last year.
The hard-hitting Martin – known as ‘Wonderboy’ – challenges for the vacant WBA Asia super-bantamweight title on Saturday night in Paranaque City, Philippines and the 22-yer-old is determined to use Probellum’s backing to represent his country at the highest level – just as Donaire, Nietes and the great Manny Pacquiao have done before him.
“For the last two or three years, my team and I have been carefully studying all possible options and situations that will lay the groundwork for my international boxing success,” said Carl Jammes Martin.
“Our patience has paid off and joining Probellum has been worth the wait. While the company itself is only a few months old, the team behind it are second to none from a boxing and business point of view.
“I have never been so excited to showcase to the world our local culture and my skills as a boxer, and represent my country in the same way that Senator Manny Pacquiao did, the Philippines’ greatest pride.
“My career will not go wrong with Mr. Richard Schaefer calling the shots and with all of his great advice. To my Wonderboy Team, this is the moment. Let’s do this!”
Probellum have also signed up 17-0 Filipino super-flyweight Jade Bornea – known as Hurricane – as part of their ambitious global plans for boxing.
“Everyone in sport knows about the rich heritage that boxing has in the Philippines,” said Richard Schaefer, President of Probellum.
“The country has produced some remarkable fighters over the years and the people support its boxers with incredible devotion, so we are thrilled to be able to add Carl Jammes Martin to our other Filipino fighters.
“Carl carries some serious power in both hands and we’ll make sure he’s quickly moving up the super bantamweight rankings.”
For the latest fight news from Carl Jammes Martin, ticket information and all updates from Probellum, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Olympian Charly Suarez and fellow unbeaten boxer Carl Jammes Martin aim to reach the next level of their respective pro careers when they eye the vacant regional belts of their divisions.
The 33-year-old Suarez (9-0, 6 KOs) battles young Mindanaoan Tomjune Mangubat in a 12-round World Boxing Association (WBA) Asia superfeatherweight championship.
Martin, 22, will seek the vacant WBA Asia superbantamweight strap against veteran Ronnie Baldonado of Cotabato.
The title fights will happen Saturday (March 12) at the Elorde Sports Complex in Sucat, Paranaque.
"This fight is crucial for me because this could pave the way for an international campaign soon. But first things first, my focus is Mangubat at the moment," said Suarez during Friday's presser.
A lot will be at stake for the Ifugao-native Martin (18-0, 15 KOs), currently ranked 12th by the International Boxing Federation (IBF), as he will also defend his Philippine 122-lb belt which he claimed last December.
"My opponent is moving up in weight but it won't make him a huge underdog because admittedly, he's faced boxers who are way talented compared with my past foes," said Martin who is dubbed The Wonderboy.
The explosive card promoted by VSP Promotions and Ultimate Knockout Challenge (UKC) of Cucuy Elorde will also feature a 12-round Philippine flyweight title bout between titleholder Bienvenido Ligas and challenger Roland Jay Biendima.
Photo Caption 1: Ifugao boxing prospect Carl Jammes Martin (right) is expected to face a stiff challenge against veteran internationalist Ronnie Baldonado in a 12-round WBA Asia superbantamweight title fight Saturday, March 12, at the Elorde Sports Complex in Sucat, Parañaque.
Photo Caption 2: Olympian and many-time International campaigner Charly Suarez (right) will seek his 10th win as a pro when he faces Tomjune Mangubat (left) of Bukidnon in a 12-round WBA Asia championship Saturday, March 12, at the Elorde Sports Complex in Sucat, Parañaque.
The benefits of having a legitimate strength and conditioning coach proved to be crucial for young boxing prospect Carl Jammes Martin in his latest fight.
The 22-year-old Martin snatched the Philippine Superbantamweight crown from longtime champion Mark Anthony Geraldo via 12-round unanimous decision win Saturday night at the Elorde Sports Center in Sucat, Parañaque.
The Hingyon, Ifugao-native Martin started out strong by connecting several counter rights and body shots that baffled the 50-fight veteran Geraldo.
In the 5th round, Martin got staggered a bit after he got caught with a strong counter right from Geraldo.
The following rounds and thereafter, Martin made the necessary adjustments when he used his excellent footwork and stinging jabs to outwork Geraldo, a longtime Philippine champion who scored impressive knockouts in all of his last four fights.
“Dati kasi pag kalagitnaan ng laban medyo mabigat na paa ko. Ngayon nagulat ako kasi ang gaan at bilis ng paa ko kaya maganda talaga epekto ng strength and conditioning sa akin,” said Martin.
In preparing for this fight, Martin tapped the services of Mel Lantin, a Physical Education graduate of the University of the Philippines who is also the Program Director for Physical Development of the Basketball Coaches Association of the Philippines.
The win improved Martin’s record to 18-0 with 15 knockouts while Geraldo, who is the only fighter to beat IBF world superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas, drops to 38-10-3, 19 Kos.
In the main event, Olympian Charly Suarez positioned himself to aim for a championship belt when he tallied a 10-round decision win over previously unbeaten superfeatherweight Delmar Pello.
Suarez is eyeing to claim a regional title in a planned March 2022 card being prepared by VSP Boxing in partnership with the Ultimate Knockout Challenge of Cucuy Elorde.
CAPTION: Newly-crowned Philippine superbantamweight champion Carl Jammes Martin (middle), whose hand is being raised by referee Sammy Bernabe (left), savors his latest accomplishment as he is joined by Filipina promoter Maria Laurita “Cucuy” Elorde (right). (Team Wonderboy photo)
It’s official, Ifugao boxing prospect Carl Jammes “Wonderboy” Martin will now get his shot at the Philippine superbantamweight title.
Defending champion Mark Anthony Geraldo last week submitted the contract to fight promoter Cucuy Elorde which he signed along with manager Leonil Lazarito that will see the Bukidnon-born boxer stake his belt against Martin early next month.
The Games and Amusement Board (GAB), in last month’s regular ratings, made Martin the mandatory challenger to Geraldo who will be making the third defense of the prestigious crown which he won when he knocked out the highly-touted Virgel Vitor last February 2019 in Tagbilaran, Bohol.
“Simula po nang lumaban na ako sa Manila, nakita ko po kung gaano kagaling ang mga boxers dito kaya pinangarap ko na agad na maging isang Philippine champion,” said Martin who remains unbeaten in 17 bouts, 15 of which ended via knockout.
Though this will be his first fight since the pandemic erupted March of last year, Geraldo is sure to offer Martin one tough battle.
Geraldo’s claim to fame was when he beat current IBF world superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas via majority decision during their 12-round regional title fight last March 2012 in Cebu.
“Malayong malayo po talaga ang kalidad ni Geraldo kumpara sa kahit siguro lahat ng nakalaban ko. Bukod po sa Philippine title, gustong-gusto ko talaga itong laban na ito dahil ang defending champion ay kilalang-kilala sa kaniyang experience,” said Martin.
Geraldo, in compiling a record of 38-9-3, 19 via stoppage, has fought the best in his division, among them former world champions McJoe Arroyo of Puerto Rico and Nourdine Oubaali of France and world title challengers Takuma Inoue of Japan and Bacolod’s pride Arthur Villanueva.
Martin meanwhile is being egged on by his throng of followers to take on quality foreign foes or start campaigning abroad.
But the 22-year-old Hingyon, Ifugao-native pugilist, who remains a promotional free agent, insists they have a long-term, prudent plan for his career.
“Aabot naman po tayo siguro dun pero sa ngayon, best option itong si Geraldo kasi nga, Philippine champion. Pinag-aaralan na din po naman ang mga offers para hindi po pagsisihan lahat kung makapasok sa isang deal,” said Martin.
Among those who are said to be interested in handling the boxing affairs of Martin include Fil-American Morris East, Filipino links of Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank, Inc., the newly-formed Probellum of respected boxing executive Richard Schaeffer, Sean Gibbons of MP Promotions and Zamboanga Valientes owner Junie Navarro.
Earlier today our good friend Ian Melodillar reported that unbeaten Filipino prospect Carl Jammes Martin (17-0, 15) would be back in action on May 29th. Not only that however, but also the fact that the "Wonder Boy" would be iun his most significant bout to date, as he takes on former world title challenger Ernesto Saulong (22-7-2, 9).
The 21 year old Martin has long been looked at as one of, if not the, most exciting prospect in the Philippines. The youngster is aggressive, heavy handed, has a really fun style, but has also been developing as a boxer in recent bouts, and showed he could do 10 rounds last year when he beat Richard Rosales.
Although very clearly a work in progress there is no denying that Martin is someone worth keeping a very serious eye on, and is also needing better tests, stiffer opponents, and fighters in the ring trying to beat him. That's exactly what he'll find against Saulong.
The experienced Saulong, aged 32, has been a proessional for over a decade and is best known internationally for his 2018 bout with Ryosuke Iwasa, when Iwasa was the IBF Super Bantamweight champion. Sadly since losing to Iwasa, who put in an under-whelming performance himself, he has gone 1-4-1 and was recently beaten by unbeaten prospect Criztian Pitt Laurente. He should prove durable enough to take Martin some rounds, but a win for the veteran would be a massive upset. At this point in time however he is the perfect opponent for Martin.
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!