Right now there seems to be as much action outside of the ring as there is inside of it with various dramas being played out. One of those drama's involves the future of Batyrzhan Jukembayev (18-0-0-2, 14) [Батыржан Джукембаев].
Originally it had been reported, by Jukembayev''s promoter, that he had turned down a bout with unbeaten Uzbek Shohjahon Ergashev (18-0, 16) [Шохжахон Эргашев], which was in negotiations for November. Originally it seemed that that was due to Jukembayev not wanting the bout but now it seems that the reason for Jukembayev turning down the bout is more complicated than that.
Vesti.kz have done an interview with Jukembayev's trainer Andrey "Bupas" Ivichuk, in which it was revealed that situation isn't as simple as just turning down the fight, and Ivichuk got a chance to explain their side of the situation.
Ivichuk explained that the fight had to be turned down to allowed himself, and Jukembayev, a chance to get US visa's, explaining that both men would need to travel to get visa's for the bout, and that that was currently going to be almost impossible to do in time for a mid-November date.
Ivichuk explained "Ergashev is not an easy opponent, and this fight requires good preparation" and seemed to add that wasn't possible which would have resulted in an "...unjustified risk for us."
When told about the reports of Ivichuk himself spending 3 days trying to convince Jukembayev to take the bout the trainer answered:
"Batyr did not refuse to fight, he asked him to postpone it at the end of the year and give him an intermediate battle now. Also consider all this incomprehensible visa situation and tight deadlines."
Despite, seemingly, having a good reason not to take the bout it does sound like there is problems between Jukembayev and Camille Estephan, with Ivichuk quotes as saying:
"I think it takes a little time for everything to cool down. It is impossible now to take any steps on emotions. Batyr has high ratings in all reputable organizations, and Camile knows it. A little time will pass, and I hope they will talk and find a mutual solution!"
The full interview, done with Serik Noyan, can be read here in Kazakh and is much, much more indepth than the quotes we've used.
Note - All quotes are translations.
Earlier today our good friend Jalol Akhmedov (who can be followed on twitter @JalolAkhmedov) reported that Salita Promotions had filed a lawsuit against unbeaten Uzbek fighter Shohjahon Ergashev (18-0, 16) [Шохжахон Эргашев] in relation to Ergashev's scheduled bout against Dzmitry Miliusha (9-3-1, 4):
Interestingly the case was filed on September 16th and was done so with an emergency motion and we have no found out how that as gone.
The case saw Salita file an ex parte motion for a temporary restraining order. Some documents from the case have been made available to us, including part of the courts opinion granting, the restraining order.
That opinion states that "Salita says that until recently, it had no idea Ergashev was going to fight in September 21st", adding "it has exclusive rights to arrange Ergashev's bouts" and that "Salita has arranged for Ergashev to fight on November 17, 2020".
Salita requested that the court "stop Ergashev from stepping into the ring on September 21" and the court has found in favour of Salita, adding "Salita will be irreparably injured if Ergashev boxes on September 21"
Although not stated in the court documents it should be noted that his proposed opponent for the November 17th bout was Canadian based Kazakh Batyrzhan Jukembayev (18-0-0-2, 14) [Батыржан Джукембаев], who has declined the fight.
For more updates from the Asian boxing world follow us on twitter @Asianboxing
Just over a week ago Mathieu Boulay broke the news that negotiations were on going between Canadian based Kazakh Batyrzhan Jukembayev (18-0-0-2, 14) [Батыржан Джукембаев] and Uzbek Shohjahon Ergashev (18-0, 16) [Шохжахон Эргашев], with the plan being for the two men to fight in November.
Sadly however the bout now looks to be off with Mathieu Boulay now reporting the bout has been turned down by Jukembayev.
Boulay reports that Jukembayev's coach had spent 3 days trying to convince him to take the fight, and the coach himself had been happy with the terms of the offer. He likely also saw the bout as a step towards Jukembayev becoming a more well known name in the US. Sadly though that wasn't too convince the Kazakh to say yes.
Notably it seems like Camille Estephan, who is in charge of Eye of the Tiger Management, is getting frustrated with the way Jukembayev is turning down offers, and is quoted as saying:
""I wonder what I'm going to have to do to get him to accept a fight"..."He refused our “Super 6” and then our mini-tournament of four boxers. He asked me for a big fight in the United States. I brought it to him on the table, and he refused it again."
Sadly it now seems like we won't be getting this potentially thrilling all Asian bout, and it's hard to see where Jukembayev goes with his career, especially given the fractious relationship between the fighter and his promoter.
For those wanting to read Mathieu Boulay's original article breaking the news of this fight falling apart, it can be found here, in French.
Earlier today it was reported that unbeaten Kazakh prospect Nurzat Sabirov (11-0, 9) [Нурзата Сабирова] had parted ways with Canadian promotional outfit Eye of the Tiger Management.
The news was broken by Mathieu Boulay of the Journaldequebec.com.
In his most recent bout, this past February, Sabuuirov beat Ricardo Adrian Luna Flores with an 8 round decision to continue his unbeaten run. Sadly though the future of his career is now uncertain. We'd like to wish him the best with his career, and although he no longer has the backing of one of the best promoters in Canada he does still have talented and, at the age of 26, time to bounce back from this.
The reason for the split between promoter and fighter hasn't been revealed, though Eye of the Tiger are said to be continuing their relationships with other Kazakh fighters.
In fact Boulay also reports that Batyrzhan Jukembayev (18-0-0-2, 14) [Батыржан Джукембаев] is in talks to face Uzbek fighter Shohjahon Ergashev (18-0, 16) [Шохжахон Эргашев] in the US on November 19th.
Interestingly Russian fighter Artur Ziyatdinov (12-1, 9), who lost recently in Russia, has also reportedly been released.
Earlier today it was revealed that unbeaten Kazakh hopeful Batyrzhan Jukembayev (18-0-0-2, 15) [Батыржан Джукембаев] had seen plans for his next bout begin. The fighter spoke to Vesti and spoke about the plans for the bout, where it will be and when it will be.
The Canadian based Kazakh revealed that he will likely be back in the ring in September in what will be his US debut. The full details aren't clear, yet, though the plans are in place and the bout is described as being a "significant" one.
Prior to travelling to the US the plan is for Jukembayev to travel to Moscow in August to being training and preparing for the contest, before arriving in the US for the bout.
The opponent is said to not yet be known, but Jukembayev is quoted in the Kazakh press as being told it will bee a "world level" opponent. He is also said to have told the Kazakh press that he is just a couple of steps away from a world title fight.
Although not amazingly well known outside of Canada the talented "777" has already scored a number of notable wins. These include a victory over Miguel Vazquez last year and a win over Cosme Rivera in 2017. He has been managed well overall, but did have a public falling out with Canadian promotional outfit Eye of the Tiger Promotions last year who have managed to help guide him into the WBC, WBA and IBF world rankings. Thankfully things appear to have been resolved with the Canadian promotional company who have a solid working relationship in the US with a major promoter, who have a large international streaming service behind them.
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!