By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
IBF world junior bantamweight champion Jerwin Ancajas (33-1-2,22KO’s) had an online video conference Wednesday morning attended by members of the Philippine sports media and other local boxing stakeholders.
Last April 10, Ancajas engaged Mexican Jonathan Javier Rodriguez (21-2,15KO’s) in a twelve round ring war and prevailed by unanimous decision to retain his title at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut.
Ancajas, a reservist with the Philippine Navy, returned to a hero’s welcome last week at the Manila Airport but celebrations were toned down due to the ongoing pandemic. He also had to undergo the required arrival quarantine protocols.
During Wednesday’s press conference, he talked about the difficulty of preparing for a fight that was postponed several times. He was away from the ring for sixteen months. He also talked about his tough opponent who earned his respect. He said Rodriguez proved everyone wrong, referring to those who predicted an easy defense.
This was the ninth defense of the title he won from Puerto Rico’s McJoe Arroyo in September 2016.
He then repeated his wish to face Juan Francisco Estrada, who has the WBA and WBC belts in a unification clash. He expressed confidence that he can take on the highly regarded Mexican.
Unfortunately, he is seemingly boxed out in a talent rich 115 lb dvision that includes Estrada , Nicaragua’s Roman Gonzalez, Thailand’s Srisaket Sor Rungvisai , and Japan’s Kazuto Ioka (WBO) . And now, another Filipino legend, the ageless Donnie Nietes, recently staged a comeback.
This writer threw Ancajas a question, asking him if he has any plans to move up to bantamweight. If a fight against Estrada does not happen, then maybe a battle against Japan’s Naoya Inoue at 118.
But Ancajas wants to stay at 115lbs for now. He targets September as his next fight date and hoping it will be a big name in the division.
Ancajas’ situation brings back memories of another Filipino great, Luisito Espinosa, who despite seven successful defenses of the WBC Featherweight title during the 1990’s, could not land a big fight against the division’s superstar Naseem Hamed.
After winning the IBF title in the Philippines, Ancajas had all of his defenses overseas. He said he would like to defend his crown in front of his countrymen. But this year would be diificult.
GAB Chairman Baham Mitra, who attended the conference, talked about the logistics difficulty for bringing in a foreign boxer who will undergo quarantine and testing. All sports events in the country are also being held behind closed doors.
Ancajas also talked about his immediate plan to assist Olympic hopeful, middleweight Eumir Marcial in his training and quest for the Philippines’ first Olympic gold.
File Photo- Jerwin Ancajas at the Elorde Awards 2018
By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
CEBU,PHILIPPINES-Former world title contenders Mark Anthony Barriga and Arthur Villanueva both returned to the win column after long lay-offs.
Barriga had trouble early on against Junuel Lacar. But Barriga showed his old elusive form in the third and fourth rounds. But,much to the surprise of everyone, including the Powcast live broadcast commentators, an apparently tired Lacar decided to call it quits after the fourth round.
Barriga, a former Olympian, has not seen action for two years and three months. In his last outing, he lost in his bid to win the vacant IBF world minimumweight title by split decision against Mexican Carlos Licona in Los Angeles.
Arthur Villanueva got a hard fought six round unanimous decision against Bryan Tamayo. The action was briefly interrupted when Tamayo was cut by an accidental headbutt above the right eyebrow in the second.
Scores-59-55 from judges Romar Embodo,Edgar Olalo and Noel Flores.
Villanueva has been inactive for a year and eight months. He lost in his last fight by sixth round stoppage to Nordine Oubaali of France in his bid to take the WBC world bantamweight title. Villanueva has also lost world title shots against Puerto Rican McJoe Arroyo and South African Zolani Tete.
Villanueva is now 33-4-1,18KO’s. Barriga is 10-1,2KO’s.
In the main bout of Kumbati 9,Pete Apolinar earned a unanimous decision against Juanito Paredes. The scores- 99-91 from judges Romar Embodo and Noel Flores, 98-92 from Edgar Olalo.
In a battle between unbeaten prospects, Carlo Bacaro got a unanimous decision against Allan Villanueva after eight competitive rounds. Scores- Edgar Olalo and Noel Flores had it 78-74,Nic Banal-79-73.
Bacaro is now 8-0,6KO’s, Villanueva drops to 11-1,8KO’s.
Benny Cañete got a unanimous verdict against Reycar Auxilo.
KUMBATI 8 was held during the afternoon with four bouts.
Mark Vicelles knocked out Richard Rosales with a left uppercut to the midsection in the fourth round.
Tomjune Mangubat stopped Ryan Maano after four rounds. Maano was knocked down in the third and after receiving heavy punishment in the fourth, decided not to answer the bell for round five.
Reggie Suganob beat Paulo Sy by TKO after the fight was stopped after Sy had excessive bleeding from the nose due to a legal blow.
Rodel Suganob vs.Luiz Borjie ended in a majority draw.
Kumbati 8 and 9 were held Saturday behind closed doors at the IPI Compound in Mandaue City,Cebu. The event was presented by Omega Sports Promotions.
By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
IBF minimumweight world champion Pedro Taduran will defend his belt against fellow Filipino Rene Mark Cuarto in General Santos City on February 27. Team Taduran travelled from the island of Luzon to Mindanao and will undergo routine quarantine and covid-19 procedures. They were however in high spirits and manager Art Monis told this writer in a short chat that their training camp went extremely well.
This will be the second defense for Taduran (14-2-1,11KO's). In February of last year, he had a four round technical draw against Mexican challenger Daniel Valladares in Guadalupe,Mexico.
But the still ongoing coronavirus pandemic gave Philippine boxing a big blow and the majority of fighters had to endure months of inactivity. The challenger, IBF number 8 ranked Cuarto (18-2-2,11KO's) has not fought for 14 months. With the champion idle for a year, it will be interesting to see who is in better condition on fight night.
Taduran won the vacant IBF title in 2019 against countryman Samuel Salva in Taguig City. Salva knocked down Taduran in the first but a heated offense from Taduran wilted Salva who capitulated before the bell for the fifth round. This was the first all-Filipino world title fight held in local shores since 1925, when Pancho Villa beat Clever Sencio by 15 round unanimous decision to retain the world flyweight crown in Wallace Field in Manila.
Cuarto actually lost to Salva in an IBF ranking eliminator last March 23,2019. This will be his first world title shot. In his last fight, he beat Jayson Francisco by fifth round TKO.
This title fight is set at the Bula Gym in Gen.Santos City.
Photos- Fight poster and Pedro Taduran (left) and manager Art Monis on the plane to Gen. Santos City
By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
CEBU,PHILIPPINES- Light flyweight Christian Araneta’s one punch knockout win provided a spectacular finish to the action-packed double fight card held Friday in Mandaue City.
Araneta (19-1,15KO’s) fired a sneaky left uppercut to the jaw of Roland Jay Biendima(15-7-1,8KO’s) and sent him flat on his back. Referee Teddy Alivio,seeing Biendima was in no condition to get up and fight, signaled the end at the 2:15 mark.
Araneta is a former WBO and WBC regional belt holder and his lone loss was against Daniel Valladares in Mexico, a fight where he had a recurrence of his shoulder injury that sidelined him for the most part of 2017.
Rising star Carl Jammes Martin (16-0,14KO’s) returned after a year of inactivity and beat a feisty Richard Rosales (14-14-2,8KO’s) by ten round unanimous decision.
The Covid pandemic has led to many Filipino boxers not getting a lot of fights this year. Martin got the much needed rounds against Rosales who not only had a tough chin, but managed to dish out a lot of wallops. Martin was more powerful and accurate and got the nod of the three judges – Edward Ligas and Rolando Mendoza – 100-90, Teddy Alivio-98-92.
Former world ranked Albert Pagara (33-1,23KO’s), who has been inactive for sixteen months, beat Virgil Puton(18-15-2,9KO’s) by eight round unanimous decision. Puton was more intent on surviving and clowning while Pagara needs more rounds to regain his form. The scores – 78-74 twice and 79-73.
The ten rounder between Pete Apolinar (13-1,8KO’s) and Danilo Tampipi (9-12-2,5KO’s) was entertaining at the start.They traded knockdowns, Tampipi was counted in the first, Apolinar was decked in the second. But Apolinar pulled away,winning by a wide margin, 98-90 twice,100-90.
In the opener of Kumbati 7, Franco Serafica beat Matthew Fondales who did not answer the bell for the second canto.
The first card- Kumbati 6- was held early afternoon Friday.
Tomjune Mangubat (12-2-1,10KO’s) won against Reymond Empic (7-6,3KO’s) who sat on his stool after the third round.Mangubat bounced back from his disappointing split decision loss to South Korean Jong Seon Kang last year in Vietnam.
Carlo Bacaro (7-0,6KO’s) used hard body shots to stop Ryan Maano (5-8-2,1KO) who turned his back in the third round.
Reggie Suganob got a unanimous verdict against Robert Ates after six rounds and pro debutant Benny Cañete beat John Roque Villagonzalo by TKO in the second.
The event was promoted by Omega Promotions and sanctioned by the Games and Amusements Board (GAB). The fights were held behind closed doors at the IPI Complex in Mandaue City. Covid-19 testing was done on all boxers and officials.
By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
CEBU,PHILIPPINES- Omega Promotions will have a back to back fight card Friday that will showcase name fighters and up and comers. The fights will be held behind closed doors at the IPI Complex in Mandaue City.
The boxers had their weigh-in Thursday inside the compound of International Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (IPI).
“Kumbati” 6 will have four bouts. Tomjune Mangubat (11-2-1,9KO’s) will aim to bounce back from his disappointing split decision loss to South Korean Jong Seon Kang last year in Vietnam. Mangubat will take on Reymond Empic (7-5,3KO’s) in a ten rounder.
Mangubat weighed 139.7lbs while Empic was at 131 lbs.
Carlo Bacaro (6-0,5KO’s)-140.7lbs will be taking on Ryan Maano (5-9-2,1KO)-140lbs- in an eight rounder. Reggie Suganob (112.3lbs) vs. Robert Ates (112.5lbs) for 6 rounds and pro debutants Benny Cañete (119.5lbs) vs. John Roque Villagonzalo (119.6lbs) will clash in a 4 rounder.
In “Kumbati 7”, “Prince” Albert Pagara and rising star Carl Jammes Martin are set to make an appearance.
Pagara (32-1,23KO’s) will be shaking off the ring rust, having been inactive for sixteen months when he squares off against Virgil Puton(18-14-2,9KO’s). Pagara was at 130.4lbs while Puton stepped on the scales at 130.8lbs.
Carl Jammes Martin will trade punches with Richard Rosales in a ten rounder. Martin (15-0,14KO’s) and Rosales (14-13-2,8KO’s) both weighed 120 lbs.
Christian Araneta (18-1,14KO’s) and Roland Jay Biendima both weighed 110lbs for their 10 rounder. For the rest of the card - Pete Apolinar -126.6lbs vs. Danilo Tampipi-123.8lbs, and Franco Serafica -125.9lbs vs. Matthew Fondales-129.8lbs.
The event is sanctioned by the Games and Amusements Board (GAB). Covid-19 testing was done on all boxers and officials.
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!