Press release - Jason Moloney eyes WBO title showdown, has eyes on winner of Butler vs Sultan
Jason Moloney eyes WBO title showdown, ready for winner of Butler vs Sultan
Australian star Jason 'Mayhem' Moloney is looking to chase the fastest route to the world title.
The all action Australian bantamweight has challenged for the world title on two occasions, losing a controversial decision to Emmanuel Rodriguez before putting up a valiant effort against pound for pound star Naoya Inoue.
Moloney reflected on his previous attempts at a world title and opened up on what's changed now.
He said, "Experience is the key, that's the difference now. I've not only been in with world champions, I've been in with the pound for pound elite in Naoya Inoue and I know I can compete with the very best of them. That ring time is extremely hard to match for any fighter.
"I still to this day feel I beat Rodriguez years back in Scotland, but I moved on and signing with Top Rank has been a blessing and I'm grateful to Tony Tolj and the team who put that all together and take care of my career. I have a great team that have always made wise moves for me in and out of the ring, and I believe they are the right people to land me another world title opportunity, that's what I want next.
"I'd love a fight with Nonito Donaire, I've always said that, but my career isn't going on hold to see what happens between Inoue and Doniare in their second fight. I want to be world champion in 2022. Given the opportunity, I'm confident I will achieve that."
Since his last world title tilt, the Top Rank promoted Moloney has comeback with an excellent win against Josh Greer, and emerged victorious in his last outing in May on ESPN. With that in the background Moloney discussed his targets for the remainder of 2022.
'Mayhem' stated, "I've got eyes on Butler vs Sultan this weekend in Liverpool. I feel I beat them both. I don't know what's going on with Casimero as world champion. He seems to be having issues and I said before, I'm not in the business of waiting around for others, I want to be world champion at the next available opportunity.
"I respect all fighters, it takes a real man to get in a ring. I just feel I'm more experienced, I'm fresher and I have operated at a far higher level than Butler and Sultan, so if they get upgraded to the WBO world champion, I'd be happy to fight either of them next, whether that be on a big show in Australia, traveling to the UK or in the United States, it doesn't really bother me. The outcome would be the same, Mayhem is coming for everyone!."
Photo Credit: Mikey Williams Top Rank Boxing
The drama around WBO Bantamweight champion John Riel Casimero (31-4, 21) seems never ending at the moment, though his reign might be about to end due to issues outside of the ring, ahead of his scheduled bout with mandatory challenger Paul Butler (33-2, 15) this coming Friday.
The hard hitting Filipino has breached rules set by the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC), in regards to health and weight management by using a sauna to help lose weight for the bout. That isn't allowed in the UK and lead to a statement from BBBofC letter, which was signed by General Secretary Robert W. Smith, stating “This is against the BBBofC’s medical guidelines and therefore we cannot permit him to compete in the proposed contest on Friday”.
Casimero has been given 48 hours to show cause or he will be stripped and the title will be made vacant.
Sadly for Casimero this is the latest in a long line of issues, that dates back years, with the professionalism of the Filipino. He was previously stripped of the IBF Light Flyweight title, in 2014, for failing to make weight against Mauricio Fuentes, and has issues for a previously scheduled bout with Butler last December, where he was hospitalised for gastritis, whilst rumours were that he was unable to make weight for that bout as well. There has also been stories of Casimero getting himself into legal trouble, with an accusation of sexual abuse in February, and a public falling out with Sean Gibbons.
Notably Casimero has spent much of the last 2 years calling out Naoya Inoue, and at one even had that fight signed before covid derailed things, it now seems like any hope of that fight happening is looking incredibly slim, especially if Casimero is indeed stripped of the WBO title.
At the time of writing the plan seems to be for Butler to face Jonas Sultan (18-5, 11) for the interim title, with Sultan marked as a standby foe for Butler, likely knowing that Casimero's lack of professionalism could rear it's head at a moment's notice. If this goes ahead it would give Sultan his second shot at a title, following a loss to the then IBF Super Flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas, and notably this one looks like a very winnable opportunity for the highly skilled Filipino.
WBO #4 and WBA #7 bantamweight Jonas Sultan is back in the United States to solidify his bid to a shot at a world title.
The Zamboanga City-native Sultan left for the United States Saturday night after spending the holidays in a posh Cavite house owned by Zamboanga Valientes owner Junnie Navarro.
The 30-year-old Sultan, who spent his entire Philippine vacation together with his family, will be joining stablemate and current world superflyweight kingpin Jerwin Ancajas in Los Angeles, California.
“While he is coming off a remarkable win last October in New York, Jonas is more eager to score another spectacular win for his next fight as he is getting a lot of inspiration from his newly-born child and hopefully, that next fight would be for a world title,” said Navarro.
Fighting as a heavy underdog in his last bout, Sultan (18-5, 11 knockouts) floored erstwhile unbeaten Carlos Caraballo of Puerto Rico four times en route to a 10-round unanimous decision win on October 30, 2021 at the famed Madison Square Garden in New York.
“Last December pa tuloy tuloy na training ko at kahit na nanganak misis ko, tuloy pa din training kasi ang isip ko dapat ready ako anytime na bigyan ng chance sa world title,” said Sultan who snatched the WBO Intercontinental crown in beating Caraballo.
While in Los Angeles, Sultan will serve as one of the main sparmates of Ancajas who is scheduled to defend his IBF crown against Fernando Martinez of Argentina on February 27, Manila time, in Las Vegas.
Currently, there are three holders of four bantamweight titles, two of them Filipinos namely Nonito Donaire, Jr. (WBC ) and Johnriel Casimero (WBO).
Sultan hopes to challenge the third titleholder, Japanese superstar Naoya Inoue who owns the WBA and IBF belts.
“Si Inoue ang gusto ko kasi hindi maganda para sa akin na Pinoy vs. Pinoy ang maglaban sa world title. Pero kung ano talaga ang mas magandang laban, handa lang ako,” added Sultan who is now solidly backed by Go For Gold, Globalport, MLV Accounting and Finn Cotton.
CAPTION: WBO Oriental bantamweight champion Jonas Sultan at the NAIA Airport as he waits for his flight to the United States Saturday, Jan. 30. (Photo courtesy of Jonas Sultan)
Last night fight fans tuning into the Top Rank broadcast got an unexpected Fight of the Year contender as Filipino fighter Jonas Sultan (18-5, 11) over-came Puerto Rican puncher Carlos Caraballo (14-1, 14), and announced himself as a contender on the Bantamweight scene.
The bout started quite technically with both men being patient, looking to see what the other had. Sultan was the man on the front foot, but Caraballo certainly had plenty of moments boxing on the back foot out of the southpaw stance. Within a minute of round 2 Caraballo was dropped, in the first of 5 knockdowns in the fight!
Caraballo beat the count but was under pressure as Sultan looked to try and close the show, but Carraballo showed his toughness and went on to hurt Sultan with a hard left, getting the Filipino fighter's respect. Sultan would finish the round well, but is was clear that Caraballo's reputation as a heavy handed fighter was a legit one, and Sultan was cautious after being tagged, even if he was the man who seemed happier on the front foot.
In round 3 Caraballo was down for the second time, again early in the round, and once again Sultan went in for the finish, but Caraballo survived the storm, tried to turn the tide and saw off Sultan's charge. It was clear that Caraballo was proving his heart and determination, but was struggling with the accurate shots of Sultan and his timing. He was making Caraballo pay for small mistakes. Sadly for him however he made a mistake late in the round himself, and was rocked, touching down himself as Caraballo's power showed it's self right on the bell. The late surge from Caraballo not only saw him getting a KD awarded his way, but he also cut Sultan and made it clear that he could turn the tide.
In round 4 Caraballo has real success as his aggression and power began pay off in a thrilling round that saw both men exchanging shots, and Caraballo getting the best of things, including a brutal left hand that landed around the neck of Sultan. It seemed like the tide was changing. The high octane action continued in round 5, this time with Sultan getting the better of things early on, but taking big shots through the round himself. It was brilliant two way action with the momentum shifting time and again and one that felt like it could turn completely in an instant.
In round 6 Caraballo landed a great combination early in the round, but Sultan responded well, pressing and then taking the play away from Caraballo with a gorgeous counter right hand that dropped Caraballo for the third time in the fight. Sultan again looked to try and finish off Caraballo who showed good footwork and movement to avoid a tear up with Sultan and recover his sense. It was a real credit to Caraballo that he saw out the round, and showed his toughness, especially given he had never previously gone beyond 6 rounds, and was now in a hole. That hole grew in round 7 as Sultan bullied his way through the early part of the round, forcing Caraballo to grit it out, before having success himself in the later part of the round, with some big left hands that landed clean on Sultan, who took them amazingly well.
Sultan seemed to be dropped mid way into round 8, but the referee ruled it a slip or a push. Sadly for Caraballo he had hurt Sultan enough from the moment to really jump on him, though he did manage to press his advantage through the round, land his heavy leather and wobbling Sultan who seemed close to going through the final minute of the round. Sultan was left bloodied, hurt and wobbling to the bell, which he really needed. The big effort from Caraballo had certainly closed the gap between the men, and showed he was very much still in the fight, despite being down 3 times in the first 8 rounds.
Caraballo continues to shine early in rounds 9, sending Sultan reeling in the first minute of the round. Sultan however gutted out the storm and turned the tide once again by dropping Caraballo with a straight right hand, completely against the tide of the round. It was a huge momentum shift that saw Sultan looking like a man on the verge of being stopped himself to dropping Caraballo and leaving the Puerto Rican hurt.
Going into round 10 it was a close one, despite Caraballo being down 4 times, and Sultan likely knew he couldn't relax and rely on his laurels. Instead he took the fight to Caraballo, giving us a brilliant 10th round, even though both men were clearly tired and worn out.
After 10 brilliant rounds we went to the scorecards, with Sultan getting his hand raised thanks to scores of 94-93 from all 3 judges.
Despite the loss Caraballo will almost certainly comeback from this, and hopefully he looks at the way his countryman Subriel Matias has comeback from his first loss. As for Sultan this puts him right in the mix for a world title fight at Bantamweight. Hopefully another big fight on a Top Rank show down the line will come for both men after this fantastic war.
Cataraja heading to Japan?
Earlier today Sunstar.com, a Filipino news website, reported the possible futures of two former ALA Gym fighters, who became free agents last month when ALA closed it's doors after 35 years.
The article on Sunstar states that former world title challenger Jonas Sultan (16-5, 10) has been offered a chance to join Roy Jones Jr's stable, Roy Jones Jr. Boxing Promotions. If he does that he would end up joining a number of other Filipino fighters under Jones' promotional group, including former world title challenger Aston Palicte.
It also explains that the brilliant and highly touted KJ Cataraja (11-0, 9) has been made various offers, and is hoping to sign with the Ohashi Gym, who have been amassing a very strong stable in Yokohama. The talented Cataraja has spent time in Japan, sparring at the Ohashi Gym and spending time in the ring with Kosei Tanaka (15-0, 9) [田中恒成], and it does seem likely that Japan will be the place for him going forward.
Interestingly Yokohama Hikari, who have had links with ALA gym in the past, weren't mentioned in the article, though we suspect that they have enquired about a number of top Filipino fighters left without a promoter.
For those wanting to read the Sunstar article that can be read in full here.
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!