Earlier today saw the announcement of the winners of the "Champion Carnival" awards. These awards were awarded for the fighters who competed in the "Champions Carnival" bouts to begin the year.
The winner of the "MVP" of the "Champions Carnival" was awarded to Flyweight champion Suguru Muranaka who successfully defended his belt with a 10th round TKO victory over Masayuki Kuroda. Muranaka, now ranked by all 4 of the world organisations, recorded his 9th straight victory with the win over Kuroda and now seems likely to move towards a world title fight later this year or early next year.
Runner up for the MVP award was Akio Shibata who received 30% of total votes though Muranaka was the clear winner with the other 70% of the votes!
The other awards went to Yohei Tobe, for his excellent victory over Taiki Eto in a Japanese Super Flyweight title, Rikki Naito, for his sensational victory over Hiroyasu Matsuzaki to claim the Super Featherweight title and Takayuki Hosokawa, who claimed the Japanese Light Middleweight title with a fantastic upset victory over Tadashi Yuba.
Sadly for Shibata, who was actually a runner up for most of the awards, he was left empty handed despite scoring a career defining victory over Daisuke Nakagawa.
(Image courtesy of boxingnews.jp)
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!