By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
It was sweeter the second time around for Pedro Taduran. In his second shot at a world title, he would not be denied and came off the canvas to stop Samuel Salva in the first all-Filipino world title fight held in the Philippines since the 1925 world flyweight title bout between the legendary Pancho Villa and Clever Sencio.
The vacant IBF minimumweight crown was at stake inside the Jurado Hall of the Philippine Marines Base in Taguig City. The fight had a fiery start with Taduran charging forward and Salva electing to box and counter.
A sharp counter right from Salva dropped Taduran in the opening round. But this did not slow Taduran one bit as he continued to bring the fight to Salva. The 22 year old Taduran found his opportunity in the third when he hurt Salva, who sought refuge on the ropes and got bombarded shot after the shot. Salva finished the round but faced the same onslaught in the fourth.
Salva countered with a head butt as a survival and defensive move. This made Filipino Referee Danrex Tapdasan take a point away from Salva. The endless stream of punches continued until the bell mercifully ended the fourth round.
Salva’s corner signaled their capitulation before the start of the fifth and Taduran’s corner celebrated.
Taduran previously lost to WBC minimumweight champion Chayaphom Moonsri (Wanheng Menayothin) of Thailand by unanimous decision one year ago. This was the first world title fight for the 22 year old Salva, who suffers his first loss at 17-1,10KO’s. Taduran is now 14-2,11KO’s
This was the third all-Filipino world title bout for the past two years. Jerwin Ancajas vs Jonas Sultan and Donnie Nietes vs Aston Palicte, both held in the U.S., left fans unsatisfied. Judging from the screams of the crowd inside the Jurado Hall, this fight had the fans totally entertained.
There were two televised undercard bouts – The close quarter combat between Joel Lino and Toto Landero was made for television. Both threw hooks that would have felled lesser boxers and engaged at a blistering pace from beginning to end in their eight rounder. Scores – 77-75,78-74 nd 77-75 for Landero.
John Michael Zulueta beat Mark Anthony Florida by TKO end of round four.
Giemel Magramo had the misfortune of missing out on an IBF flyweight eliminator due to the withdrawal of Thai Komgrich Nantapetch due to food poisoning. Magramo easily beat late substitute Richard Claveras who did not continue after round three.
Photo – Pedro Taduran’s arm raised victorious vs Samuel Salva
By Rene Bonsubre,Jr
For the past couple of days, reports surfaced that South African DeeJay Kriel was vacating the IBF minimumweight crown. Kriel was supposed to defend his world title against Filipino Samuel Salva, the mandatory challenger, in the Philippines on August 24.
Another Filipino, Pedro Taduran (13-2,10KO’s), ranked number 3 by the IBF, is now being tapped to fight Salva (17-0,10KO’s) for the vacant title in an all-Filipino showdown possibly on September 7. Manny Pacquiao’s MP Promotions earlier won the purse bid to stage Salva’s title challenge.
The 22 year old Salva is currently training in Iligan City, Northern Mindanao.
“Yes, they already told me I would be fighting another Filipino,” Salva told this writer, “I wanted to fight Kriel, take the belt away from the champion. But fighting Taduran is okay, I have no problem fighting another Filipino, whoever wins, a Filipino will be world champion.”
“I am currently sparring with Marco Rementizo. My training is going well,” Salva stated, “I will be moving my training camp soon to Cavite, the Survival camp.”
Rementizo (10-3,7KO’s) is a light flyweight with a 1W-1L record fighting overseas in Thailand. The Survival Camp in Cavite will provide Salva with a championship atmosphere during training; it is the home base of IBF super flyweight world champ Jerwin Ancajas.
“I feel this is my time. I will be world champion.” Salva concluded.
Salva earned the right to fight for the IBF title after beating another Filipino, Rene Mark Cuarto by unanimous decision last March. The undefeated Salva was a virtual unknown before appearing on this televised fight card in the Philippines.
The 22 year old Taduran will not be a pushover. He already has world championship experience, having lost to WBC strawweight world champ Chayaphon Moonsri a.k.a Wanheng Menayothin (53-0,18KO’s) of Thailand last year by unanimous decision. His only other loss was a split verdict to Joel Lino three years ago. Taduran is currently the Philippine minimumweight champion.
The first all-Filipino world title fight in history was held in Manila in 1925, when Pancho Villa successfully defended his title on points against Clever Sencio. The lives of both men would have a tragic end in the United States. Villa died ten days after losing a non-title bout to Jimmy McLarnin due to a worsening infection after having a wisdom tooth extraction. A year after his fight with Villa, Sencio was found dead in his hotel room due to brain hemorrhage after a decision loss to Bud Taylor.
Last year, we saw two all-Filipino world title bouts but both didn’t satisfy the casual fans. Jerwin Ancajas defended his IBF belt against Jonas Sultan by unanimous verdict. It was a relatively easy win for Ancajas but fans at ringside grew restless and discontented. Donnie Nietes and Aston Palicte fought for the vacant WBO junior bantamweight title and the bout ended in a controversial split draw. Both fights were held in the U.S.
The all-Filipino title match-ups also paled in comparison to the memorable Mexican civil wars - Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vasquez and Marco Antonio Barrera vs Erik Morales are notable examples.
Will Salva vs Taduran have fans wishing for more all-Filipino battles?
PHOTO - From video of Samuel Salva's fight against Oliver Gregorio
These articles are submitted by guest writers and sites. They aren't submitted by the usual folk behind Asian Boxing and don't fall in line with our editorial stance, giving a fresh view on various boxing issues from the Asian boxing scene.