On Saturday fans in Kanagawa had a chance to spend time with local star Naoya Inoue (8-0, 7) who took part in a couple of fan events. Unsurprisingly he used those events to talk about his return to the ring. Sadly for fans expecting Inoue to make a quick return the news is bad, and for those who have heard rumours of Inoue's next bout coming in November against David Carmona (19-2-5, 8), it appears those rumours are incorrect.
At the event Inoue said no decision has been made regarding who he will be fighting. He said that his team are still in talks with both Carmona and Warlito Parrenas (24-6-1, 21), but that a decision had not yet been made on which of the two men was going to be the first challenger to his crown. That might be a disappointment to some, but it was little surprise to those who been following the Japanese media on the story.
Now the disappointing news. Inoue revealed he wouldn't be in the ring again until late December. We suspect that'll be December 30th, exactly a year after his amazing victory over Omar Andres Narvaez.
It was that victory over Narvaez that saw many fans begin turn to Inoue as a potential star. Sadly it was during that fight that he badly damaged his right hand, and it's been that injury that has kept him out of the ring.
Prior to his return he will step up training in September, when he will begin full fledged sparring. At the moment the injured hand, which was said to have been fine several months, is thought to be not quite fully healed yet.
Given the time frame we're expecting Fuji TV and Ohashi Gym to put another mega-show as they did last year. That leads us to believe that we'll see Takuma Inoue defending his OPBF Super Flyweight title, Ryo Matsumoto possibly in a title fight and maybe even Ryuji Hara or Akira Yaegashi in a significant fight.
News! We try and give you the most interesting news stories from the Asian boxing world!